Tuesday, September 8, 2009

"Easy" French Bread

We love bread and eat more than our fair share.

I came across this french bread and had two questions.....
  1. Would it be "easy"? (I am a skeptic)
  2. Would it be "good"? (More important than "easy")
Using two small pans I experimented with a couple different finishes....


Kosher Salt















Sesame seeds and "Sicilian Seasoning" (I don't know what "Sicilian Seasoning" really means - it was in a jar in the back of the cabinet....)









Other than the shape - I am not sure this is technically correct French Bread but it is easy and good.... there were no leftovers!

EASY FRENCH BREAD
1 package quick-acting yeast
2 cups lukewarm water
4 cups sifted flour
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt

Dissolve yeast in 1 cup water - add to sifted flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
Add second cup of water (dough will be sticky).
Cover and set bowl aside to let rise until doubled.
Punch dough down and knead twice. Place on greased loaf pan and cover.
Let rise until reaches top of pan.
Brush lightly with melted butter (sesame seeds, poppy seeds, etc can be added here)
Bake at 400 for 30-40 minutes until crust is golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when tapped.

Note: I thought this dough was too sticky so added about 3 teaspoons extra flour. I might try it next time without this addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment