Tuesday, September 8, 2009

TWD: CHOCOLATE SOUFFLE


The word soufflé is the past participle of the French verb souffler which means "to blow up" or more loosely "puff up" (thank you Wikipedia) - I never knew this but it makes sense...

Even though I've had the opportunity to travel many places and eat at many "fine" restaurants - I've never eaten a souffle. I'm not sure why...

Saturday's French-food-theme (Country French Stew, French Bread, Cabernet) needed this dessert so the timing was perfect. I was surprised how easy this mysterious dessert was to make (even if it didn't come out quite right).














I was hoping that it would raise more - a few things might have contributed to this...
  • milk chocolate took the place of bittersweet chocolate,
  • egg yolks were added after about 1/2 the whites were folded in (why were they across the kitchen near the coffee maker?!) and could have caused some over-mixing,
  • maybe the rim wasn't clean and they "got stuck",
  • powder sugar was added before baking.
Unfortunately, nobody really cared for these immediately out of the oven - maybe because of my mis-steps? There was, however, a fight for the leftovers - especially with some Creme Anglaise poured over the top!

I will try these again - just for the leftovers if nothing else!

5 comments:

  1. I've never had a souffle either, until now! I was actually expecting this to be much more labor intensive, but I was happily surprised. Now I'm really looking forward to the left overs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - nicely done for a first attempt! My best one was my first. They've been downhill ever since! They're not hard to make... that's a good thing - glad everyone liked the "leftovers"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on your souffle. I've only had flops in the past. May have to try again....soon! Glad everyone scrambled for the leftovers. Always a good sign! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your chocolate souffle - could be because it looks like mine... =)
    I also dusted powdered sugar prior to baking. I thought that was what the recipe called for? Oops. Loved it and would love to try it again since it's so simple to bake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you attempted it! I've never actually eaten souffle before so I guess I really should have tried this week's TWD.

    ReplyDelete