Monday, September 14, 2009

TWD: FLAKY APPLE TURNOVERS

This was a love/hate/love project for me....

I loved the idea of apples in "crust" of some sort - this screams fall, football and comfort. The weather Saturday was perfect for the mood.... gray, dreary, breezy, random rain showers..... Fall was in the air!
The idea quickly turned ugly when I started working with the dough. I had nothing but trouble rolling and working with the first batch. It was very sticky and seemed to tear every time I tried to move it...... ugh!

Taking a break - I had (what is in my world anyways) an inspiration and did a couple things differently with the second batch of dough. A little flour on the bottom sheet of waxed paper and letting the dough set a few minutes before rolling made this batch much easier - I would almost say "fun".... almost - to work with. While it wasn't quite love yet, at least we were back on speaking terms...

The first batch was pretty much by the book.

The second batch had some very stiff home-made caramel gobbed on top of the apple mixture.






























I was quickly back in love..... the buttery flaky crust was delicious and would be great as Dorie suggests with any variety of fresh seasonal fruit! Toasted nuts would be a tasty addition too!

A little bit of left over dough and apples made a tasty - if not pale - tart that complimented a scoop of carmelized bacon caramel ice cream....

10 comments:

  1. I love that last photo..very good! Im glad everything worked out after all the dough issues. I loved this recipe and will have it posted in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flour can be so tricky to work with, I'm glad it worked out in the end. Love Dorie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was lucky, the dough did ok for me. I ended up with a lot of apple left over though! I saved it and will use it for something else. These were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You read my mind with your last picture. I was wondering how some sort of "open face" tart would work. Didn't think about the color issue, Guess a more colorful fruit like your elderberries would be prettier.

    If all's well that ends well is true, then your project was a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff - wow, these look really nice! I'm glad you experimented with the leftover dough - I just made more... probably not as flakey the second time around, but ... Interesting - I'm with the others... I've been thinking of using the dough for a galette -of some sort... Hm.. thanks for the ideas - nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excuse me? Caramelized bacon caramel ice cream?? Um...YUM! The tart and the turnovers all look good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, saw you comment over at Mike's blog, so I clicked over here to see yours. GREAT looking turnovers. Love the dark look you got on yours. I wanted mine to brown more than they did. I did a galette with my leftover dough, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look great. NIcely browned!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the colour of your crust! I'm jealous of the flaky layers in the paler one. I'm still get worried when working with dough because I'm afraid of overworking it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can almost smell these lovely cakes.
    They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete